Wednesday, February 4, 2004, a Harvard sophomore launched thefacebook.com from his dorm room. Today, he is worth almost 30 billion dollars. That is $1 billion for every year he has lived.
We all know that in the social media world, Facebook is the big cheese. Currently, there are about 1.23 billion monthly active users. Let me put that in perspective for you: there are about 7 billion people on earth, and if Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest in the world.
Catherine Cherry, director of marketing communications at Sony Mobile, says of the juggernaut,
“While other social platforms have risen in popularity and people’s favorites are diversifying, Facebook remains an important platform that should not be forgotten in any social marketing campaign. It has made the marketing industry a far more exciting place than it was ten years ago and is likely to play a key role for a long time to come.”
So, in honor of Facebook’s first decade, here are some of our favorite homages to the social media platform that revolutionized how people, communities and businesses interact online (and in many cases, offline!)
1. Mark Zuckerberg’s interview. An in-depth look at the mind behind Facebook.
2. How has Facebook changed our lives? From photo sharing to recognizing friends and more…
3. If Facebook were a country… There’s a good chance you’d live in Facebookland.
4. Think you remember what your Facebook looked like ten years ago? You might be surprised how much has changed.
5. Infographic: The Rise of the Social Media Giant http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/02/03/facebook-10
6. Yikes! How much time have you wasted on Facebook?
7. 6 ways Facebook has changed the retail experience. You might be surprised about how far social media has taken business!
8. What would a world without Facebook be like?
9. Facebook is the world’s largest social media network. Here’s what it looks like when you boil it down to the numbers.
10. Every industry can find value in the use of Facebook for their business, but here’s how the social media giant became an integral part of Hollywood.
As a fun little bonus article, check out this list of 10 things that were popular in 2004.
What were you favorite “Happy 10th Birthday Facebook” reflections or stories?